GPS: 57°42'17.9"N 12°28'26.7"E
Hindås commands a high location between the Nedsjö lakes and deep forests. The station, church and a number of large villas were built around 1900 in the Swedish Jugend style. A skijump dominates the community with its magnificent silhouette. It is currently being renovated and will be used as an outlook. In the early 1900s the Gothenburg Sports Association founded a sports site here that was long called the Åre Ski Centre of Western Sweden – railbound visitors would travel there on the Hindås Express. Today many volunteers are working hard on preserving and presenting old buildings in order to ensure that Hindås will continue to function as an interesting tourist goal in the future.
There is much to see and do in and around Hindås. Below is a starter’s list for the interested visitor.
(For more information about each item click on the underlined link.)
- The Hindås Station’s Homestead Association carries out events and rents the station to cultural programmes, festivals and similar activities.
- The two hotels Hindåsgården Spa and Hjortviken welcome visitors. A number of the older boarding house buildings are still in use.
- The Hiking Trail Vildmarksleden (Wilderness Trail) that originates in Gothenburg joins the Sjuhäradsleden (Seven County Trail) and continues on to Borås. It is a part of the Europaled 1 stretching from Italy to Nordkap in Norway.
- Canoe rentals for paddling on the two Nedsjö lakes and the far-reaching canoe trails surrounding them are handled by the Hindås Kanot- och Friluftsklubb.
- Illuminated exercise track originate at the Hindåsgården, as well as other longer posted trails.
- Winters offer skiing, if needed on illuminated artificial snow trails provided by the Hindås Skiklubb.
- The Hindås Dancing Society uses the Rotunda on the Rävlanda Road for dancing and folkfestivals.
- The Arts and Crafts Association Gylllen Hinden gathers local craftsmen and artists in a shop and gallery open daily.
There are several roads leading to Hindås from E40 using exits 78, 79 and 80. Simply follow the signs.