GPS: 58°08'18.8"N 12°35'05.2"E
When the Götaland railroad line through the district opened in 1900 it provided opportunities for ambitious entrepreneurs. Commerce and industry grew, lots were opened along the line and the St. Mellby mechanical workshop was built on one of
In 1920 Mellby native Karl Larsson acquired the workshop taking advantage of the mechanization of the area. He built two versions of hot-bulb engines, as well as a much needed threshing machine. Other products were groat mills and vises, as well as contract manufacturing for other companies. Repair work for his neighbours continued until 1994 when sole owner Erik Andersson retired.
At that point the St. Mellby Homestead Association took over the operation, the property and the machine park, all dating back to the 1920s. The house was renovated in 1995 and is now open for the public. Thus an extended technological history and old working methods are preserved for the coming generations.
An older work shed has been renovated and serves as club meeting place and an exhibition hall. New buildings have been added to display a underground draining machine and EPA-cars converted by local enthusiasts.
The association has found a way of keeping history alive by including local residents both as participants and observers. Around twenty members renovate and explain our operation composing something to impress everyone.
Click here for more information or contact Börje Gustavsson at 0739-79 82 99.
From county road 190 turn left on Bjärlandavägen in St. Mellby at the sign for St. Mellby Mechanical Museum. Follow the road about 400 m. The museum is to the left.