Lake Gerdsken empties into Lake Mjörn via Lillån Creek. At Stampens Mill there is a small fall with a long history. In 1727 Jonas Alströmer built a fulling mill on the site driven by a water wheel; as the Swedish name for the process is klädesstamp, the city district was called Stampen. In the fulling process the wool is worked with a hammer to increase its strength and make it waterproof.
As early as 1625 king Gustav II Adolf had granted the city the right to “build a tariff mill on Jerske Stream”. But it would not be until the 1750s when a flourmill was built on the site. This mill was used commercially until 1976 when the last miller Åke Lindqvist retired. Since then the building interior has remained mostly unchanged. The building gives witness to the development of the mill. Over the years the original stonework in natural rock has been rebuilt and renovated. The wooden frame has been reinforced to meet the increased demands on the structure when more modern, heavier machinery was installed. However, the old millstones remain next to the modern roller mill.
The mill was originally powered by an external undershot wheel, but in the mid-1800s two turbines were installed. These powered the entire machine park using a system of belts that runs from the turbines all the way to the bolter on the fourth floor. Everything is well preserved making it easy to follow the milling process and to understand how the work in the mill was organized.
Today the Alingsås Homestead Association rents the mill from the municipality and works with other associations to organize summer exhibitions such as art, photography and handicrafts.
Click here for more information.
Turn off route E20 towards Trollhättan on county road 180 and almost immediately left on Götagatan. Drive until the street ends and you’ll see the mill. Parking is limited so park well.